Saturday 12 April 2014 -
Santuário do Cristo Rei
A sign from above.
On a visit to Rio in 1934, the then cardinal of Lisbon was filled with admiration for the famous Christ the Redeemer of Corcovado. In 1940, following the outbreak of the Second World War, Portuguese bishops meeting in Fátima promised that if the country was spared during the conflict, they would give their unanimous agreement for a similar monument to be built.
Portugal was not to take part in the war, and this longed for “sign from above” resulted in this great monument being built in 1959. The 110 metre tall statue overlooks the Tagus estuary and watches over the City of the Seven Hills from the Almada, on the other side of the river.
Transtejo river bus from Cais do Sodré towards Cacilhas, then take bus n° 101
Shops, boutiques and malls